Attract Feathered Friends this Winter with Pike Nurseries

yellow-warbler-in-barberry-mahonia-bush_stock-image

Bird is the word! With cool temperatures abound, now is the perfect time to welcome winged wildlife to the garden by providing them with water, food and shelter. Feathered friends will appreciate a safe refuge from the cold, while nature lovers will delight in a colorful flurry of activity right outside their doorstep. To help customers ready the yard for beautiful birds, the experts at Pike Nurseries offer the top three essentials needed to transform any backyard – small or large – into a bird-friendly oasis that will flourish throughout the winter.

carolina-wren-at-suet-feeder_stock-image

Essential #1: Food
Not all birds are alike, which means certain species prefer different types of food. Colorful Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Bluebirds, Brown Thrashers, Blue Jays and Mockingbirds enjoy suet logs and cakes. This high-fat, high-calorie option provides the perfect punch of energy to help birds thrive during the cold. Regular bird seed is also a great option, depending on the size of the bird’s beak. To attract the broadest spectrum of species –from Sparrows and Cardinals to Wrens and Easter Towhees– the experts at Pike Nurseries recommend using Pike Special Mix Bird Seed, which is comprised of sunflower, millet and peanuts. Thistle seed is also a great food source and is popular among Chickadees, Finches and Tufted Titmouse. Gardeners looking for a DIY project can create an easy, homemade bird feeder by covering a pine cone in peanut butter and rolling it in bird seed. Once a string is attached, the tasty treat can be hung on branches for birds to indulge. Additionally, flowering shrubs, perennials and vines provide great natural alternatives to seed and feeders.

Bathing Bluebirds

Bathing Bluebirds

Essential #2: Water
Although birds won’t bathe in cooler temperatures, they still need water to survive. Birdbaths, mini-birdbaths and fountains are great water sources during the winter when streams and creeks may be dry or frozen. The experts at Pike Nurseries recommend residents keep a low level of fresh water in a birdbath and change it regularly to keep it clean. Installing a birdbath heater will help keep the water from freezing in between changes and also ensure birds continue to come back for more.

img_4121

Essential #3: Shelter
While many people believe bird houses should be taken down in the winter, now is the perfect time to utilize them. Birds seek shelter to keep warm during frigid temperatures and to hide from nighttime predators like owls and cats. Pike Nurseries offers a wide variety of bird houses in different shapes and sizes, making them both functional and decorative for bare winter landscapes. Roosting pockets or plants in the landscape, like ornamental grass, shrubs, trees and conifers, also provide a natural safe haven for many winged wildlife.

To help customers put their birding knowledge into practice, Pike Nurseries will host a FREE Attract Birds to the Backyard class at select locations January 17-19 and January 21. Guests will learn more about the essentials needed to attract birds, what type of bird food is best and how to create an inviting habitat for them during the crucial winter months. All class attendees will receive a 5-pound container of Pike Nurseries Special Mix Bird Seed and be entered to win a $50 bird house.

For more information on winter birding, stop by one of the 17 store locations across Georgia and North Carolina. For more information on Pike Nurseries’ FREE gardening classes, visit pikenursery.com/pages/pike-classes-events.

21 thoughts on “Attract Feathered Friends this Winter with Pike Nurseries

1. tammya1999 says:

I love watching the birds at my home and all 3 of those suggestions are exactly what they need to visit your home. Thanks for sharing.

2. Sarah Bailey says:

This post was very informative to keep those feathered friends a perfect place for the winter. I know a friend who would like to attend that FREE Attract Birds to the Backyard class. Thanks for the invites.

3. Kimberly C. says:

Wow these are some pretty birds. I have a bird’s house in my yard, but somehow it doesn’t attract any birds. Probably because my cat George sits in front of the window eying it. Nice informative post.

4. TColeman says:

I have never heard of Pike Nurseries but we love to bird watch. Bringing them in during the winter can definitely be tricky.

5. Eileen says:

Thank you for the suggestion. I would love to have this as a project this winter. Those poor little birds need to be fed and have someplace to rest. I’m letting my husband know about this so he can go out and get some needed supplies to start the project. Soon I will wake up to birds singing. Lovely!

6. R U S S says:

I don’t see birds often because prolly I live in a tropical country. But when I’m traveling, they’re everywhere and they’re always a pretty sight. It would be nice to see them though at my own backyard. We sure could use a similar class like the Attract Birds to the Backyard Class.

7. Tauyanm says:

lovely birds, living in malaysia and dubai, birds are always the one knocking on my window apartment. probably need a feeder for them to eat when visiting my window again!

8. emmaeatsandexplores says:

I make a fat ball with the left over fat that I have from cooking. I love seeing all the birds outside my window – its so relaxing to watch them flying around!

9. Rosey says:

We used to have a big picture window in our library. I’d put bird feeders up just to see which kinds of birds would show up. I liked them all. 😉

10. Amber says:

How cool! I would like to watch birds. My Mom has a lot of these things in her backyard so there are always tons of birds around.

11. Athena L Nagel says:

I am totally not a fan of birds – I thank my parents for instilling a very unhealthy fear of them by having me watch the birds as a young child. But my mother in law lives with us and she adores them so this is right up her alley.

12. Elizabeth O. says:

It would be nice to attract birds to your backyard and just watch them especially during spring or summer! I think this is a great idea and I’d love to do this!