Public Libraries Offer Family Fun

Things have been kind of slow on the blog for a few weeks, and I apologize for that.  Life kind of threw my family a couple of twists and turns in late July.  I was in a car wreck that totaled my car. I am banged up quite a bit, but I am thankful to still be here!   I can honestly tell you I have a whole new perspective on life.  A car wreck really has a way of putting things into perspective.   Through the pain and suffering, I also got to catch a glimpse of the human spirit.  From what my family calls “guardian angels,” we have been showered with kindness!

Life is something not to be taken for granted, and so are cars.    The car that was totaled was the first car that I purchased on my own, and I never quite realized the attachment that I had to it.   Even though it had its share of issues over the years, she was good to me!  But it is a car, and my life is more precious than a car.

Now the school year is gearing up, and I am super excited to meet my awesome group of students!  There is nothing quite like the new clothes and new supplies that brighten up our classrooms.  One of my favorite places in my classroom is my library.  I have spent years collecting a wide assortment of books for the students to enjoy, and I always love the look on their faces when I pull back the curtains that cover it.  They are genuinely  excited to get their hands on one of their favorites.

Even if it is not time for school to begin near you, there is still time to bask in the summer sun!  What are you doing to pass the time this summer?  If you live in Georgia, you have some great options you can check into at your public library!  My family loves going to the library, and not just for what you think either.  Of course, we enjoy picking up books and DVDs to enjoy, but did you know they have some other hidden treasures just waiting for you to pick up?  If you have a public library card, you NEED to be checking out these resources!  If you do not have a card, get one!

Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites

The ParkPass exempts you from paying the daily $5 parking fee at state parks, and the Historic Sites Family Pass exempts up to 4 visitors from admission fees to state historic sites operated by Georgia State Parks, Recreation & Historic Sites.

Zoo Atlanta Family Pass

The Zoo Atlanta Family Pass  provides free admission for up to two adults and two children aged 3-12 (children 2 and under enter the zoo for free).  All you have to do is watch a short DVD video on Zoo Atlanta.  Once you are done you return it to the library and they will print you out a pass to use.

Patrons can check this special DVD out once a year.

I do not know what you are waiting for?  Get to your local library and check out these passes!  Does your library offer something like this?  Do  you have a favorite childhood book?  To celebrate another school year, I am giving away a $25 Amazon gift card for you to choose a book that is on your list!  Giveaway ends September 19.

36 thoughts on “Public Libraries Offer Family Fun

1. Dawn McAlexander says:

Oh, wow! Sorry to hear about your car wreck. Glad you are ok. Well, for the most part, anyway. I could imagine what it was like for you. Probably pretty scary. But, hey, I like your post! I love zoos and parks.

2. shannau says:

So glad to hear you’re doing ok after that wreck! It is always scary to be in something like that- I’ve been involved in a few unfortunately. My library does not offer anything like that, but then again, we don’t live in a big area with a nice zoo. We have to travel 4+ hours to go somewhere amazing.

3. Elizabeth O. says:

It would be nice to take the kids to libraries, there’s a lot to learn and it’s a great way to encourage them to love reading as well! I think it’s great that the libraries are doing this!

4. savingcmncents says:

Our public library offers a ton of interactive, fun things to do all year long. During the summer months there is even more and we are there at least once a month. I love books and really hope to share that love with my kiddos!

5. Karlaroundtheworld | Karla says:

Our local libraries before used to have something similar like this but not to the extent of having some benefits somewhere else. It actually is a good idea to have some family bonding at the library, now that I think of it.

6. Rosey says:

I used to love to go to the library for events and things. We haven’t done it much here lately, but we will again when school starts back up.

7. Jackie says:

I am glad to hear you are ok after the accident. Our library has passes that patrons can borrow for museums in NYC and NJ. I’m surprised more patrons don’t take advantage of them (I work at the library).

8. Heather Pfingsten says:

Wow, you have been through a great deal recently. I am glad that you are okay and yes, when something like that happens, it gives us a whole new perspective on life.

As for the library, WOW, I had no idea there were a variety of bonuses that could go along with membership. We haven’t been to our local library. I hate to admit that I don’t even know where it is. I am going to have to check it out! Thank you for the information.

9. The Mad Mommy says:

I am so sorry to hear about your car wreck, but I am happy to hear that you are still here. We love using our public library to our advantage. They offer so many great things.

10. Yona Williams says:

I love my public libraries, and use them frequently. I love how you can take out entire TV show series. At the one across town, you can take out video games. My favorite childhood books were written by Shel Silverstein ( like Light in the Attic).

11. fashionphases says:

Oh my I hope you are feeling better after your car wreck. Same thing happened to my brother in law, thank God he also walked away from it. I also appreciate the 2 local libraries in my area.

12. Kathy Kenny Ngo says:

I love public libraries! It is really helpful specially to those who loves to read a book but don’t have enough money to buy for a new book.

13. Fashion Travels (@tauyanm) says:

my daughter loves bookb, dubai has many places to enjoy reading but it is summer time now so i have to wait till winter to fully enjoy the places and find them once by one. hopefully they have pass like you have mention above

14. Karlaroundtheworld | Karla says:

Anything to do with libraries or the events/activities they’re holding is always a plus for me. There’s still a lot of classic knowledge not available on the internet and I am a good Google/search engine explorer myself.